Screening of Selected Asian Spices for Anti Obesity-related Bioactivities

Nancy Dewi Yuliana, Muzamal Iqbal, Muhammad Jahangir, Christofora Hanny Wijaya, Henrie Korthout, Marijke Kottenhage, Hye Kyong Kim, Robert Verpoorte

(Food Chemistry 126)

ABSTRACT

The potential health effects of 30 spices, commonly used for daily consumption, were submitted to bioactivity screening with several anti-obesity related bioassays: adenosine A1 receptor binding, cannabinoid CB1 receptor binding, TNF-a and 3T3-L1 adipocytes differentiation induction. Sesame seed and red chilli exhibited high binding activity to the adenosine A1 receptor and nutmeg, mace, black pepper and turmeric to the cannabinoid CB1 receptor, while piment and turmeric showed high inhibition of TNF-a accumulation. Black onion seed proved to be the only spice with high 3T3-L1 adipocyte differentiation induction activity. Several well known major compounds found in these active spices were tested with the respective bioassays but did not show activity. Thus, it appears that other minor compounds or the synergistic effects of different constituents are responsible for the observed activity.

2010 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

7,866 Responses to “Screening of selected Asian spices for anti obesity-related bioactivities”

1. Josphine Harrellson said:

I just couldn’t leave your website before suggesting that I extremely loved the usual info a person provide on your guests? Is gonna be again often in order to check out new posts|

2. Lise Cancer said:

I like reading an article that will make people think. Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!|

3. Jerry Rob said:

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say superb blog!|

4. Bud Clippard said:

Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a thirty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with someone!|

5. Trailer Bathroom said:

An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a coworker who has been conducting a little homework on this. And he actually ordered me breakfast because I found it for him… lol. So let me reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending some time to talk about this matter here on your internet site.

6. Pronostico Loterias Para Hoy Colombia said:

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a colleague who was doing a little homework on this. And he in fact ordered me dinner simply because I discovered it for him… lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this issue here on your website.